Welcome to the fifth in the Elusive Evan EVANS brick wall busting series. On this occasion, I continue evaluating the evidence relating to Evan’s short life.
Birth, Baptism and Death of Evan EVANS
- 1867 – Birth of son, Evan, in the 4th quarter and his baptism on 20th December. Living at Pantllwyd with the occupation of labourer.
- 1868 – Death of son, Evan, in the 1st quarter aged 3 months. Burial of Evan on 12th February. Living at Pantllwyd.
I found the baptism of this Evan by accident. I knew nothing about him due to his birth and death happening before the 1871 census.
The information contained within the baptism record is pretty standard, the baptism took place in the parish of Ffestiniog, Merionethshire on 20th December 1867.
The family’s residence and father’s occupation matches with the other evidence I have for the family.
I think the next step would be to get the birth certificate for Evan which is:
Name: Evan EVANS
Mothers Maiden Name: ROBERTS
GRO Reference: 1867 Dec Quarter in FESTINIOG Volume 11B Page 412
As I already knew of the second Evan born in 1870, I checked the burial registers for this Evan’s burial knowing that it would provide me with a more accurate timeframe for his birth and found it in 1868.
His burial occurred in the same parish as his baptism on February 12th. He was aged 3 months which places his birth around November.
I’m going to order the death certificate for Evan:
Name: Evans EVANS
Age at Death: 0
GRO Reference: 1868 Mar Quarter in FESTINIOG Volume 11B Page 333
The evidence to support this Evan belonging to ‘my’ Evan and Laura is strong. Although, it provides me with nothing that will aid my search into the earlier part of Evan’s life.
I have visited Pant Llwyd, just for curiosity. The road is as it was in the 1800s, just with cars. But, I will continue to research the areas in which they resided.
To Do List
- Order the birth certificates for Edward, both the Evan Jnrs, and Robert.
- Order the death certificate for the older of the Evan boys.
- Research witnesses to the marriage of Evan and Laura – John HUMPHREYS and Stephen ROBERTS.
- Contact the current owners of Ty Isaf.
- Follow up on the 1861 census for Llwyn y gell.
- Find out about Tyn-y-coed – contact FHS for the area.
- Order death certificate for Edward Evans in 1881.
- Research Pant Llwyd.
- The Elusive Evan Evans
- The Elusive Evan Evans – A timeline
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluate the Evidence 1
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the evidence 2
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 3
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 4
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 5
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 6
- The Elusive Evan Evans – To Do List
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Searching for new evidence