Welcome to part two of my Elusive Evans’ series. In the first post I outlined the problem with my three times great grandfather, Evans EVANS. There are a combination of challenges that make him very difficult to research.
Today, I’m going to outline the timeline for Evan’s life, starting with the earliest known event, his birth, probably around 1829-1831.
- 1829-1831 – Probable birth of Evan EVANS, dates taken from his marriage, the 1871 census, and his death certificate. The 1871 census states he was born in Caernarvonshire and his marriage certificate names his father as Evan EVANS (deceased).
- 1862 – Evan married Laura ROBERTS on 23rd October. He was a farm servant living at Ty Isaf, Ffestiniog.
- 1863 – Birth of son, Richard Morris on 2nd April at Tynycoed, Maentwrog. His occupation was given as an agricultural labourer.
- 1865 – Birth of son, Edward in either the 1st quarter or 4th quarter.
- 1867 – Birth of son, Evan, in the 4th quarter and his baptism on 20th December. Living at Pantllwyd with the occupation of labourer.
- 1868 – Death of son, Evan, in the 1st quarter aged 3 months. Burial of Evan on 12th February. Living at Pantllwyd.
- 1869 – Birth of son, Evan, in the 3rd quarter.
- 1870 – Baptism of son, Evan, on 6th January at Ffestiniog. Living at Pantllwyd with the occupation of labourer.
- 1871 – Evan lived in Pantllwyd, Ffestiniog. Evan is listed as 41 years old, working as a labourer, and born in Caernarvonshire. Lowry, his wife, is 35 years old, and born in Merionethshire. The children, Richard, Edward, and Evans are aged 8, 6, and 1 respectively.
- 1872 – Birth of son, Robert, in the 1st quarter.
- 1875 – Evan’s death occurred on 24th May at Cwmorthin Slate Quarry after a fall down a precipice. The inquest was held on 27th May recording a verdict of accidental death.
This timeline includes everything I currently know about Evan. Immediately, I have a few things to add to my ‘to-do’ list. I don’t feel that there’s really any point in following the lives of Laura and children after Evan’s death right now as it won’t get me any closer to finding out what I want to know.
My interest lies with the period before his marriage on 23rd October 1862. Where did he come from?
To Do List
- Order the birth certificates for Edward, both the Evan Jnrs, and Robert.
- Order the death certificate for the older of the Evan boys.
- The Elusive Evan Evans
- The Elusive Evan Evans – A timeline
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluate the Evidence 1
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the evidence 2
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 3
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 4
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 5
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Evaluating the Evidence 6
- The Elusive Evan Evans – To Do List
- The Elusive Evan Evans – Searching for new evidence